Even as things throughout Iowa start to reopen, we remain in the midst of a serious crisis for Senior Citizens, our most vulnerable population for contracting Coronavirus. Their lives, under the guidelines from the CDC for preventing infection from COVID-19, have dramatically changed their ability to socialize and remain active. These are significant factors in helping prevent depression and anxiety.
Senior Life Solutions at Decatur County Hospital (DCH) offers Intensive Outpatient Therapy (IOP) for older adults, which may be a very real solution to help those who may be suffering during this time. The program remains open to serve and is accepting new referrals and patients. We will deliver care either on site as appropriate, or via telehealth services. The method of delivery is tailored to meet the needs of the individual patient.
If you know of anyone who could benefit from this service, please consider calling us to refer them. After a referral, they will received a phone call from our staff to help determine if IOP, or other resources, may be helpful during this challenging time. Referring is a simple process. Just call 641-446-2320 with general information and our SLS team will take it from there!
If you notice any of the following common symptoms of depression in a loved one, they may benefit from our service:
- Sadness or feelings of despair.
- Changes in mood including irritability, agitation, crying spells, or lack of experiencing pleasure.
- Unexplained or aggravated aches and pains.
- Loss of interest in socializing or hobbies.
- Weight loss or loss of appetite.
- Feelings of hopelessness or helplessness.
- Lack of motivation and energy.
- Sleep disturbances (difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep, oversleeping, or daytime sleepiness).
- Loss of self-worth (worries about being a burden, feelings of worthlessness or self-loathing).
- Slowed movement or speech.
- Increased use of alcohol or other drugs.
- Fixation on death.
- Thoughts of suicide (in seniors, particularly males are at a higher risk than most for suicide).
- Memory problems.
- Neglecting personal care (skipping meals, forgetting or omitting medications, neglecting personal hygiene).
If you have family, friends, neighbors, or acquaintances that show any of the symptoms listed, you could be saving a life or have an influence on improving a life just by calling us with a referral. For more information, visit www.decaturcountyhospital.org/sls and follow our Facebook page @DecaturCountyHospitalIowa for more information on all our services.