All around us, rural health care facilities may be declining, but at DCH we are continuing our expansion and maintaining our high-quality specialty services so you can continue to have access to health care in your local community. On November 16th, Decatur County Hospital celebrates National Rural Health Day which is set aside to recognize the great service that rural health care organizations provide.
At Decatur County Hospital we believe in striving to exceed the expectations of our patients, their families, and our community. Our mission is to deliver exceptional care close to home, with a vision to enhance lives and improve health.
We support our community members by offering convenient access to services such as:
- Sixteen (16) Outpatient Specialty Clinics: Save the hassle of driving far from home for specialty care, and see our specialists for high-quality, compassionate care. Our services include many that are not available elsewhere in our region such as rheumatology, medical weight loss, neurology, endocrinology, on-site cancer care, women’s health services, orthopedic surgery (including total joint replacements), urology, and more.
- Chest Pain Center Accreditation: In 2022, we became the only critical access hospital in Iowa to achieve Chest Pain Center Accreditation through the American College of Cardiology (ACC). We received this prestigious recognition upon the completion of a rigorous evaluation of our staff’s ability to evaluate, diagnose, and treat patients who may be experiencing a heart attack. Decatur County Hospital is only the fifth hospital in Iowa to receive this accreditation from ACC.
- Surgical Services: Our highly-trained surgeons provide on-site surgeries in an up-to-date surgical suite. Surgeries available on site include: general; vascular; orthopedic (including total joint replacements); urology; gynecology; ears, nose and throat; thyroidectomies, hand to shoulder, and podiatry.
- Infusions and Cancer Care: The DCH infusion team has advanced education to provide the most qualified and experienced care to you and your family. Specially trained registered nurses administer infusion therapy and chemotherapy with compassionate, personalized care in a relaxed and comfortable setting. To further expand our capacity for chemotherapy and infusions, we are currently undergoing a renovation of the former Outpatient Clinic inside our main building to become the new infusion center. In early 2024, the completion of this new space will double our existing capacity to allow us to serve up to ten (10) patients simultaneously. Each individual infusion space will provide patients with individual lighting controls, spacious storage for personal belongings, internet access, and individual televisions to choose their entertainment (including the ability to connect headphones to avoid disturbing others), and the infusion chairs will include heat and massage to ensure comfort while going through treatment.
- Rehabilitation Services: Our rehab team creates customized plans to help you improve your daily function, or recover from an injury or surgery. To meet the needs of our community, we not only offer rehab appointments during regular business hours, but also accommodate appointments during morning and evening hours to meet your schedule.
- Decatur County Health Care Courtesy Van: In partnership with other health care agencies in Decatur County, this free transportation service is available for Decatur County residents who have a healthcare appointment at Decatur County Hospital, Infinity Health (Leon and Lamoni locations), Decatur County Public Health, and dental facilities in the county. The van also offers free rides to pharmacies in Decatur County to pick up prescriptions. This service was implemented as a direct result of public input, and addresses a major issue with transportation for Decatur County residents.
- Skilled Care: These services help to provide a transition between any hospital and your home, offered in a convenient location close to family, friends, and other loved ones. If you or a loved one would be best served recovering in Decatur County, you can request to be referred to Decatur County Hospital for skilled care. We accept referrals from ANY hospital, and will work with your insurance provider.
To learn more about all our services, please visit https://www.decaturcountyhospital.org, or call us at 641-446-2285. To stay up to date with Decatur County Hospital, follow us on Facebook and Instagram @DecaturCountyHospitalIowa.